Why take The Joy of Sketchbooking?
- Find and Expand Your Creativity: My approach to sketchbooking allows you to be curious, fearless, and playful, all of which are integral to creativity!
- Become a Better Artist: Sketchbooking encourages creating art more often, and the more you do it, the better you get. I aim to make your sketchbooking journey so fun you want to do it more and more.
- Increase Your Mental Health: Art has been proven to help people with depression, anxiety, trauma, and losses. Sketchbooks can be for pure fun as well as a safe zone for processing emotions and introspection. Simply put: making art makes you happier. Seriously. And the coolest part? The mental health benefits are not reliant on your skill level or talent. The benefit comes from the process, not the product. And my approach to sketchbooking is all about that process!
After this course you will have:
- a newfound sense of your own creativity
- a consistent and FUN sketchbook practice
- tools to increase your skills and build your artistic voice
- more artistic confidence and joy
- tools to increase your own mental health (so much cheaper than therapy!)
- boundless ideas for what to draw
- excitement and inspiration so you want to keep creating long after the course ends
This course doesn't end with just a painting to hang on the wall and forget about. I'm sharing with you tools to spark your imagination for years to come. Just like it is for me, your creative journey through the joy of sketchbooking could be a life-long love.
With this course you'll get:
- 10+ video lessons
- Lots and lots of demos
- 13+ exercises to get that creativity flowing
- Bonus PDF of 101 sketchbooking prompts
- Access to private Facebook group made for us to share our sketches with each other
- Personalized interaction – ask me questions, I'll answer
- A lifetime access to all of it! Redo the lessons any time, re-invigorate that creativity
PLUS SUPER PREMIUM GOODIES
- Two 30-minute video chat sessions with me (via Skype, FaceTime, or Zoom.) Show me your creations and ask me anything. I'll give you tips, guidance, and personalized feedback to help you grow your individual artistic journey.
- 10 bonus videos showing every single page of 10 sketchbooks. That's right. I talk about stories behind pages and thought processes behind ideas. That means sometimes I get pretty REAL and talk about intimate details of life events that inspired these creations. Nothing else is more like looking into the mind of an artist.
Totally obsessed with art for as long as I can remember? Check.
Got a fancy art degree (Bachelor of Fine Arts) from an amazing school- Maryland Institute College of Art? Check.
Created a series of sketchbooks as my actual Senior Thesis? Truth!
Spent 12 years creating art and teaching art as a full-time professional? Check.
Exhibited across the U.S., won lots of awards, published a couple books, had several solo exhibits? Yeah, yeah.
In love with teaching and the rewarding feeling of sharing my passions with others? YAS!
"What an amazing class!! With the emphasis on play, it was very freeing! Any mistakes were simply opportunities to learn. I feel like my inner artist has blossomed!"
- Sylvia Mahalak
"I learned the most from watching Heather draw. Her enthusiasm is infectious! There is an ease to Heather's class and she makes an attempt at drawing seem less intimidating."
- Adria Peaden
StartPLAY - Learn to Let Go (13:16)
StartPLAY - Make a Mess and Experiment (6:45)
StartINDULGE - a.k.a. Get Into It (11:01)
StartLIMITLESS - All the Things (5:58)
StartMAKE IT WORK - Embracing Mistakes (7:23)
StartPROCESS > Product (9:33)
StartJUST START - Kickstarting Tips (11:12)
StartKEEP GOING - Quick Wrap Up (1:50)
StartThesis Sketchbook 1: And that's what happens when you move (5:06)
StartThesis Sketchbook 2: Please don't mess up my line rhythm (6:16)
StartThesis Sketchbook 3: You've got red on you (6:02)
StartThesis Sketchbook 4: I'll let you in (9:57)
Start2016-2017: I need more Strath (9:32)
StartFigure Drawings: NSFW (9:42)
Start2018: Flower, not blood (10:03)
Start2018 - 2019: Life finds a way / Sometimes the only way out is through (7:28)
Start2019: Cut me out, leave the pieces on the floor (9:37)
Start2020: Line after line after line after (13:38)
Frequently Asked Questions
ART AND CREATIVITY
- The more you do it, the better you get
- You can love every stage of the journey
- You don't have to be gifted to learn to make things you enjoy
- Spending time creating art is a form of therapy that our souls crave. Feed your soul!